This recipe is super simple, fairly healthy, and does not require a lot of ingredients. It’s rare to find a pasta dish that is both healthy and comforting and although portion control is always important, I didn’t feel too guilty going back for seconds (read: thirds). That’s a winning pasta dish in my opinion.
I started by cutting the chicken into bite sized pieces and marinating it for a few minutes in garlic flavored olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and some dried sage. The chicken doesn’t need to sit long, but leaving it for a few minutes in this marinade makes the chicken really tender. After that, the rest of the dish comes together in a flash. A little parmesan cheese and some crushed red pepper finish the dish off and give it a nice punch of flavor.
3 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons of garlic flavored olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for finishing
2 tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of dried sage
salt & pepper
13.25 oz of whole grain rotini
1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into one inch pieces
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, plus extra for serving
1. Start by marinating the chicken. Place the bite sized pieces of chicken into a bowl and pour 2 tablespoons of garlic flavored olive oil and 2 tablespoons of white balsamice vinegar over the chicken. Add the dried sage and sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Toss the chicken to coat each piece in the marinade. Set to the side while you get the other ingredients prepped.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add in the whole grain rotini. Cook according to package directions.
3. During the last minute of cooking add the asparagus pieces to the pasta water. Afte 1 minute, drain the pasta & asparagus and transfer to a large bowl.
4. Drizzle the pasta with the remaining tablespoon of garlic flavored olive oil.
5. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken that has been sitting in the marinade to the hot pan. Let it cook on one side and get a nice sear for about 1 minute. Stir and flip the chicken and continue to cook until all the pieces are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Tansfer the chicken to the bowl with the pasta and asparagus.
6. Stir in 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Stir to combine everything. Serve the pasta in bowls with extra parmesan cheese and red pepper if desired.