I know I may be in the minority when I say this but I love snow. I don’t particularly like the cold but if it’s going to be cold I want it to snow! Lucky for me, we have about 5 inches on the ground right now and the snow is still coming down. I got to work from home today which basically means monitoring my emails and making a few calls. Working from home also means lots of free time for things I love like cooking.
One of the things I made on my “snow day” was this pesto frittata. First of all, let me just say that frittata’s are awesome. They are basically a delicious way to use up any leftover veggies, meat or cheese you have in your fridge. They are incredibly easy to make and the finished product always looks beautiful. Frittatas are a great brunch item because they don’t have to be served piping hot. They are delicious at room temperature too. You also don’t have to stand at the stove flipping omelets or pancakes. The frittata starts on the stove but finishes cooking in the oven.
As I mentioned, frittatas are a great way to use up leftovers so you could really use any combination of veggies, meat or cheese you have in your fridge. Feel free to get creative. My version includes items like red bell pepper, mushrooms and bacon. It also includes two heaping tablespoons of prepared pesto. Pesto is something I usually have on hand in my fridge and it really packs a punch in this frittata. The basil and parmesan in the pesto do wonders for this dish.
I happened to use egg beaters in this frittata but if you’re not into egg beaters use eggs or a combination of eggs and egg whites.
It was the perfect brunch dish on this snowy day. Oh, and by the way, if you’re following Weight Watchers this frittata makes about 8 generous slices and is about 4 points per serving.
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
1 cup of grape tomatoes, halved
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp
1 16 oz. container of egg beaters or 10 eggs
2 tbsp. of prepared pesto
3/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
2 scallions minced (both white and green parts)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the diced onion and bell pepper and sautee for 2 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and sautee another 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the grape tomatoes and the bacon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sautee for 1 minute. Turn off the heat. Spread the veggies evenly over the cast iron skillet. They should be in a nice even layer.
6. In a separate bowl add the egg beaters (or eggs) and the pesto and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
7. Pour the egg and pesto mixture over the veggies and bacon.
8. Transfer the cast iron skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
9. Remove the pan from the oven after 20 minutes. The frittata should be set in the middle. Sprinkle the grated cheddar over the top of the frittata. Bake for another 3 minutes until the cheese melts.
10. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the scallions over the top.