I couldn’t think of what else to call this recipe. It’s sort of a combination of turkey chili and fried rice. Or maybe it’s just a chili recipe that I added rice to. Whatever. It’s not a very creative name but the recipe itself did turn out yummy and it comes together really quick too.
It was a last minute dinner, as many of mine are, and I came up with this recipe as a way for me to clean out my fridge and pantry. I used ingredients I always have on hand like rice, diced tomatoes, black beans, onions, garlic and spices. These kinds of dinners don’t always turn out well but in this case, it did. It’s pretty healthy too. Except I served mine with a generous helping of cheddar cheese and a big handful of crunchy tortilla chips. I wound up eating the “turkey chili rice” like a dip, using the chips as my utensils. So, if you eat it that way it’s not that healthy. It’s pretty good on it’s own too so the chips and cheese are optional.
1 tbsp canola oil
1 lb. of lean ground turkey
salt & pepper
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves of galric, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of green chilis
1 can of black beans
3 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons cilantro paste (see picture below in recipe)
Tortilla chips and cheddar cheese for serving (optional)
1. In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and season with salt and pepper. Brown the turkey for 3 minutes and then add the onion and garlic. Continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes until the turkey is nicely browned.
2. Next add in the spices, the chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the can of diced tomatoes, green chilis and black beans. Stir for 3 minutes until everything is nicely combined and heated through.
4. Add in the cooked rice and stir for 5 minutes until everything is combined.
5. Add in the cilantro. I didn’t have any fresh on hand so I used this paste:
If you have fresh cilantro, that’s even better.
6. Serve in bowls with some grated cheddar cheese and tortilla chips (optional).