It’s been way too long since I last blogged! I’ve been in Maui (be jealous) lounging on a beach and eating some fantastic food. My goodness, Maui is beautiful! I felt like I stepped into a post card. Stay tuned for a blog post on Maui. In the meantime here’s a quick and easy recipe for a corn and black bean salad (or salsa depending on how you eat it).
I’ve been back for about a week now and vacation is definitely over. However, it’s still summer and this simple recipe is perfect for the season, especially because of the sweet local corn around here. This recipe works great as a salsa with some tortilla chips or these nifty quinoa chips I found at Trader Joe’s or you can use it as a topping for chicken or fish OR you can just eat it by itself with a spoon or fork as a kind of salad. Whichever way you choose to eat it, it’s fresh, a little sweet, a little spicy and incorporates all the flavors of summer. The corn is grilled so the sweet kernels get a little charred and really add amazing flavor.
2 corn cobs
1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1 garlic clove finely minced
1/2 jalapeno finely minced
1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the corn cobs in water for 5-10 minutes until partially tender. Remove and set to the side.
2. Heat a grill pan (I don’t have a grill because I live in my apartment but you could certainly do this on an outdoor grill if you have one) and coat the corn cobs in olive oil. Place the corn on the grill and grill on each side for about 5 minutes until the kernels are nicely charred and brown and the corn is tender.
3. Meanwhile mix all the other ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
4. Once the corn is done, cut the kernels off of the cob and add to the salad. Mix well.
5. Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.