I’m obsessed with the Food Network and Cooking Channel. I can sit for hours watching people cook. Matt can’t understand this. He thinks it’s the most boring thing in the world. Although we have a lot of things in common, TV is not one of those things. I mean I can’t really blame him. I’m not sure how many men out there like watching cooking shows and the Bravo TV network, although he will watch Million Dollar Listing with me and we both love House Hunters International.
Anyway, Matt wasn’t home so I was watching The Cooking Channel. I was hoping to get some inspiration for a quick dinner. Luckily for me, one of my favorites, Nigella Lawson, was making salmon topped with bacon and a pea puree. I didn’t have salmon, but I did have tilapia fillets. I also had bacon, frozen peas, and leftover creme fraiche. I did not feel like going to the grocery store so I was thrilled that I had all the ingredients for this simple quick dinner. Even though I didn’t follow an exact recipe, this meal was adapted from an episode of Nigella Lawson’s show on the Cooking Channel.
Ingredients for tilapia with bacon:
4 tilapia fillets
7 bacon strips
salt and pepper
Recipe for tilapia with bacon (adapted from Nigella Lawson’s show):
1. Heat a cast iron skillet (or nonstick skillet if you don’t have a cast iron skillet) over medium heat.
2. Cut the bacon strips into bite sized pieces and cook in the preheated skillet until crisp.
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan and lay on a plate lined with a paper towel.
5. Sprinkle the tilapia fillets with salt and pepper on both sides.
6. Cook the tilapia fillets in the leftover bacon grease in the cast iron skillet. 2-4 minutes per side depending on how thick your fillets our. Mine were relatively small.
7. Remove the tilapia from the pan and sprinkle the crisp bacon over the fish. Serve along side the pea puree, recipe to follow.
Ingredients for pea puree:
16 oz. frozen peas
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
4 oz. creme fraiche
3 tbsp. of butter
salt and pepper
grated parmesan cheese for serving
Recipe for pea puree(adapted from Nigella Lawson’s show):
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil on the stove. Add in the garlic cloves and let cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the frozen peas to the boiling water and cook for 8 minutes until the peas are defrosted and cooked through.
3. Drain the peas and garlic in a strainer/collander and add them to a food processor or blender.
4. Add the creme fraiche, butter, salt and pepper to the food processor and pulse until pureed. Taste for seasoning.
5. Serve alongside the tilapia and bacon (see above) and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.