I’ve been in kind of a slump/funk lately. If there is such a thing as a quarter life crisis, it’s very possible that I am going through one. My thoughts seem to take discouraged, negative, fearful paths quite frequently and it sometimes takes quite an effort to redirect them.
However, even though sometimes it’s very hard to stop the negative thinking that can go on in my head, I’ve discovered that counting my blessings can really help. It’s not a new concept really, but I’ve been trying hard to focus on the MANY good things in my life, rather than the few bad things. Why is it that sometimes it feels as though the bad things seem to outweigh the good? That’s another negative lie.
I was recently inspired by a friend of mine to make a list of things I am thankful for. She started posting a daily “thankful” status on facebook, in which she lists a couple things that she is thankful for each day. I look forward to reading her daily status updates, because sometimes reading them, I remember to be thankful for something that I had otherwise forgotten about! It’s been a wake up call to me to start thanking God for the blessings in my life because I don’t do it nearly enough. So, here is a list of things I am thankful for today. It is not comprehensive. If it were, the list would be never ending. These are just some of the things that came to mind as I wrote this post.
1. The vibrant orange color of my clementine this morning
2. The song that played on the radio in my car on my way into work
3. Tap water you can drink without filtering (such a blessing trust me!)
4. My little dog Maggie who brings me a lot of joy
5. The weather warming up
7. Inspirational quotes
8. Scripture verses like Proverbs 3:5-6 and all verses that give me hope and peace and remind me of God’s promises
9. My health
10. God’s grace, faithfulness, and forgiveness
11. Bravo & Food network 🙂
12. Encouraging texts and emails from my husband (I am also thankful for my husband obviously)
13. letter openers
14. The way God designed our minds to only focus on one thing at a time
15. Skype & social media that keeps us all connected
16. The ability to travel and the amazing opportunities I’ve been given to see the world and experience and live in all kinds of different cultures
17. My love for all kinds of cuisine
18. My short work commute
19. A kind and understanding boss
21. Comfortable bed
22. Feel good movies like “While You Were Sleeping” & “As Good As It Gets”
23. Living near both a major city and a beach
24. Youversion Bible App for my Iphone
25. Being able to go home on my lunch break
26. Good memories
27. The ability to laugh at something really funny
28. Amazing family and friends
29. My roomba vacuum!
30. The park by my apartment
31. Stumbling across my old highschool swimming sweatshirt last night
That seems like a good place to stop. I already feel better knowing that I have all these things to be thankful for today!