There are very few networks on TV that I’d rather watch than Foodnetwork or Cooking Channel (except for maybe Bravo). And there are very few cooking personalities I’d rather watch than Nigella Lawson. It’s a tragedy that she and the Barefoot Contessa are both on at 4:30 PM (Eastern Standard time). I have finally given in to DVR-ing them both, so I no longer have to choose which one I’d rather watch. But Nigella is one of my favorites for many different reasons.
1. First of all, she’s so realistic about cooking. She even uses bottled lemon juice sometimes (horrors)! She knows that people don’t have all day to be in the kitchen and cook and her recipes reflect that. They are so simple, easy and take almost no time at all to throw together. She uses help from the store when she needs it…
2. She’s impatient, as am I. I dont have patience to chop things perfectly, or go through any other tedious cooking preparations. I just want the food to taste good and be done quickly. She manages to sort of throw things in a pan and the food comes out looking divine.
3. She’s a late night snacker. I have to admit, one of the main reasons I watch the show, is to see what she will pull out of the fridge at the very end. It’s always some odd combination of something she’s made on the show.
4. She doesn’t worry about how much butter or sugar she uses.
6. The terminology she uses to describe the food is very relaxing. When I finally get home from a long day of work, there is something about her show that just automatically relaxes me.
Who are some of your favorite Food TV personalities and why??